Align | محاذاة









I was born and raised in Cairo, and still live in this city of more than 20 million people. With the crowds of Cairo, we always wait along the day: for bread, for transportation, for gas canisters, for appointments... Because I am used to it, the state of waiting is reassuring.  

When I traveled to Farrera, Spain, for an artist residency, I found myself living in a village of 25 people, some of whom I never had the chance to meet. For the first time in my life, I was surrounded with big, empty spaces, where I could set my own pace and move around at my own leisure. It was a society and environment completely different from my experience.

In this very specific place, I tried to align reality with my longing for home. I sought a secure place in this alien landscape. The safe place was in my imagination; my memory of home. By virtually multiplying my body, I attempted to create for myself an imaginary community.



ولدت ونشأت في القاهرة، ولا أزال أعيش في هذه المدينة التي تضم أكثر من 20 مليون شخص.  لقد انتظرت أنا والحشود في القاهرة طوال الوقت للحصول على احتياجاتنا اليومية.. ولأنني اعتدت على ذلك، فإن حالة الانتظار تبعث بالنسبة لي على الاطمئنان. عندما سافرت إلى فاريرا بأسبانيا، لقضاء وقت في إقامة للفنانين، وجدت أني أعيش في قرية يبلغ تعدادها السكاني 25 شخص، ولم تتح لي فرصة لقاء بعضهم علي الإطلاق. لأول مرة في حياتي أكون محاطا بمساحات فضاء شاسعة ، حيث أتمكن من ضبط ايقاعي والتحرك في أوقات الفراغ. لقد كان ذلك المجتمع والبيئة مختلفين تماما عن تجربتي. في ذلك المكان شديد الخصوصية، حاولت محاذاة الواقع مع الشوق الى الوطن. لقد سعيت لإيجاد مكان آمن لنفسي وسط هذه المناظر الطبيعية الغريبة. وكان المكان الآمن هو مخيلتي، ذكرياتي عن الوطن. ومن خلال اصطناع عدد كبير افتراضي من جسدي، حاولت أن أخلق لي مجتمع متخيل.


Project exhibition in "Art i Naura", Spain, photo by Alaa Abdelhamid
Project exhibition in "Art i Naura", Spain
Project exhibition in "Art i Naura", Spain
Align exhibition in Artellewa art space, photo by Hamdy Reda
Align exhibition in Artellewa art space, photo by Hamdy Reda
Align exhibition in Artellewa art space, photo by Hamdy Reda
Align exhibition in Artellewa art space, photo by Hamdy Reda
Align Exhibition in Artellewa : http://news.mohamedezz.com/2012/03/align.html